Saturday, November 13, 2010

100th post

Iowa 100
Well, my first post here was on August 17, 2010 and this one will be my 100th post. Numerically it's somewhat of a milestone, but in reality the vast majority of posts have been photos without much detail. I still have some pictures left to post, but I have a mountain of photo albums to dig through and scan. Looks like I'll have to dust off the scanner and scan some more photos sometime, too.

I've chosen the Iowa State Highway 100 logo to mark the occasion since many of my posts are about Iowa. I have mixed feelings about the state of Iowa, it was home to many of my ancestors, but now it is a 330 mile obstacle that separates the family. Too bad it isn't 100 miles wide.

I'm not sure what posts will be favorites to others, but the ones I enjoyed the most were the ones that introduced new material and new stories I'd never heard. A recent example was the sad history of Joseph Fowlie and his 20 year stay in an insane asylum. Another interesting one was when I learned that Vilas Parker's remains were found more than 40 years after his plane crashed during World War II. Another one was learning the story of Frank Brassfield, a 3rd cousin to this line that was a hero in World War I. All the stories are light on details, but they provide a good overview.

I'm looking forward to telling at least 100 more stories and 100 more pictures.