I conducted a search of census records via HeritageQuest online. I was looking for details on Gipson Bates, father of Nellie Belle Bates. She was Elvis John Brassfield's Grandmother. Basically all I'm starting with is Census Records and a gravestone in Sergeant Bluff, Iowa, saying Gipson Bates and dated January 7, 1834 - June 15, 1910. The Census records seem to differ on spelling and date of birth, but that is fairly typical for the census.
The executive summary of this information is:
- Gipson Bates was born in Vermont in 1834, his father appears to have been Moses Bates. Moses Bates was apparently a rather infamous person and mentioned as a "Prairie bandit" in the "History of Black Hawk County, Iowa" book in 1878. Gipson moved from Vermont to Iowa between 1835 and 1837.
- In 1850, he was living in Black Hawk County, Iowa.
- In 1860, he was living with his brothers in Sergeant Bluff Township, Woodbury County, Iowa.
- In 1870, he was married to Elizabeth and had three children living in Sioux City Township, Woodbury County, Iowa. Their first child was born around 1864.
- In 1880, he was still married to Elizabeth and had eight children living in Liberty Township, Woodbury County, Iowa.
- In 1893,his wife Elizabeth died buried at Sergeant Bluff Cemetery, Sergeant Bluff, Woodbury County, Iowa.
- In 1894, Gipson married Lorena (Jett) Brassfield.
- In 1900, he was living in Liberty Township, Woodbury County, Iowa and was married to Lorena. He had 2 children with Lorena at that point.
- In 1910, he was still married to Lorena and was living with their two daughters in Sergeant Bluff, Woodbury Township, Woodbury County, Iowa.
- Gipson Bates died June 15, 1910 and is buried at Sergeant Bluff Cemetery, Sergeant Bluff, Woodbury County, Iowa.
In September 23, 1850, Gipson Bates was in District No 11, Black Hawk County, Iowa and was listed as age 15, born in Vermont. Head of household was Moses Bates, age 52. Possibly Gipson's father? The next one listed is Sarah Bates, age 26, born in Iowa. She could be an oldest daughter or she may have been a recent wife, but she is too young to be the mother of a 17 year old. Leonard Bates, age 17, born in Vermont. Gipson is listed next, but spelled Gibson. William O Bates, age 13, born in Iowa. Grasha Bates, (female) age 11 born in Iowa. Martha E Bates, age 9, born in Iowa. Rosanah Bates, age 6, born in Iowa. George W Bates, age 2, born in Iowa. This list suggests the Bates family moved from Vermont to Iowa between 1835 and 1837.
In June 14, 1860, the Gipson Bates was living in Sergeant Bluff Township, Woodbury County, Iowa. He was age 23, living with two other men. GW, age 10 and Aubury, age 6 though the spelling is not clear. These might have been brothers. Gipson is spelled Gibson and listed as born in Vermont. GW was born in Indiana and the 6 year old was born in Iowa. They are living near a 23 year old William Bates, possibly his brother. Even more interesting is that they are only two residences away from the W.D. Brassfield family. Gipson's daughter Nellie would marry Elvis H., a son of W.D. Brassfield.
On June 13, 1870, the Gipson Bates family was living in Sioux City Township, Woodbury County, Iowa. Gipson Bates was listed as 39 years old and born in Pennsylvania. His wife's name was listed as Elizabeth, age 37, also born in Pennslvania. The family included Maggie, age 6, Rosa, age 4, William, age 2 and Lena, age 1. The children were all listed as born in Iowa.
On June 12, 1880 the Gipson Bates family was living in Liberty Township, Woodbury County, Iowa. Gipson was listed as 45 years old and born in Vermont. His wife was listed as Elizabeth. She is listed as being age 43 and was born in Pennsylvania. The family included Maggie, age 16, Rosa, age 14, Willie, age 12, Laoni or Lorna (spelling?), age 11, Flora, age 8, Nellie, age 5, James S., age 4 and Robert, age 8/12th, born the prior September, 1879.
On June 9, 1900, Gipson Bates was listed as Gibson, age 64, living in Liberty Township, Woodbury County, Iowa. His is listed as being born Vermont, Jan 1846. He has a different wife listed, Lorna, age 44, born Dec 1855 in Illinois. It says they had been married 5 years. Gipson's previous wife died in 1893. 4 children are living with them, all born in Iowa. The first is 11 year old Earnest, his step-son. Eunice, Age 3 and Lucy age 1. They appear to be his children with the second wife. His 24 year old daughter Elizabeth M. is living with them as well. A male servant named Frances Walker is also listed living with them.
Gipson died in 1910, but he was also listed in the 1910 census living in Sergeant Bluff, Woodbury Township, Woodbury County, Iowa. His is listed as Gib Bates, age 75, born in Indiana (though I'm fairly sure he was born in Vermont). His wife is listed as Lorena Bates, age 55, born in Illinois. Children are Unice Bates, age 12 and Lucy Bates, age 10, both born in Iowa. The census record is dated April 16, 1910, Gipson died only months later on June 15.