Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday - Fowlie tombstones in the snow

Fowlie tombstones in the snow
This photo shows the Fowlie tombstones as I found them on March 10, 2011 at Rosehill Cemetery, Rockwell City, Calhoun County, Iowa. I was just passing through Iowa with my camera en route to Omaha, but unfortunately there was snow on the ground that day.

I had no idea where to find the Fowlie plot, so I just drove in a ways and after getting out of the car only twice, I basically walked up to the group of stones like I knew right where I was going. Maybe subconsciously I remembered a visit from 20+ years ago.

From left to right:
Joseph [Charles Fowlie] 1881 [sic] - 1908
Roy[al James Fowlie] 1887 - 1911
Mary C. [Fowlie] 1854 - 1923 Mother
Alexander B[rown Fowlie] 1834 - 1906 Father

As mentioned before, I am 99.999% confident that Joseph was born in 1879, not 1881. Does anyone know if these stones are originals or if they were placed there years later? That might explain the incorrect dates.

Alexander and Mary are my 2nd great grand parents. Joseph and Roy are their sons, my great grand uncles and the brothers of Frank Brown Fowlie.

Locator map