Saturday, August 13, 2011

Keystone Cemetery

Entrance to Keystone Cemetery
Entrance to Keystone Cemetery
Since I was passing through Benton County, Iowa, I also visited Keystone Cemetery, Kane Township, Benton County, Iowa. This cemetery is much larger than Parkers Grove Cemetery, but I was still able to find all the tombstones on my list in less than an hour. The primary ones I was looking for were straight up the main entrance road pictured above and a row to the left after the large cross. I spotted the large Kiesel stone from my car after less than 5 minutes in the cemetery.

I wandered the rest of the cemetery looking for Harry and Clara Andreson and Rudy and Elfreda Homire so I photographed a number of other headstones with the same surnames. The weather wasn't too great and it started to rain about ten minutes after I left the cemetery.

Click read more to see the list of tombstones I was searching for and some notes about how they are related.

  • Kiesel, Henry, (1856-1935), brother of my 2nd great grandmother, Mary (Kiesel) Fowlie, wife of Alexander Brown Fowlie.
  • Kiesel, Marie, (1876-1900), apparently a wife of Henry Kiesel.
  • Kiesel, Auguste, (1883-1924), apparently a wife of Henry Kiesel.
  • Homire, Lewis H., (1867-1946), would have been a half brother to Mary (Kiesel) Fowlie by her mother's second marriage. Relationship calculator says he was a 2nd great grand uncle to me. He is buried in the plot north of Henry Kiesel.
  • Homire, Lena Junge (1873-1934). Wife of Lewis Homire.
  • Homire, Roy, probably a son of Lewis and Lena Homire. Buried in the plot just south of Henry Kiesel.
  • Homire, Ella S., wife of Roy Homire. 
  • Homire, Rudy R. son of Lewis and Lena Homire.
  • Homire, Elfreda, wife of Rudy Homire.
  • Andreson, Harry L., (1894-1979) Husband of Clara.
  • Andreson, Clara, (1900-1991) I think this is a daughter of Lewis and Lena Homire
The Homires would be half cousins of descendents of William and Charlotte Kiesel, my 3rd great grandparents.

See also: Find a grave

GPS coordinates found during the visit:
  • N41 59.645, W92 13.052 (on top of Roy and Ella Homire's tombstone)
  • N41 59.635, W92 13.120 (on top of Rudy and Elfreda Homire's tombstone)
  • N41 59.637, W92 13.106 (on top of Harry and Clara Andreson's tombstone)
This is as close as Google will let me plot these points at the same time:

View Larger Map