Friday, August 12, 2011

Parkers Grove Cemetery

Entrance to Parkers Grove Cemetery
Entrance to Parkers Grove Cemetery
I recently visited Parkers Grove Cemetery, Canton Township, Benton County, Iowa on a trip through Iowa. It wasn't exactly "on the way" but it was an interesting diversion. Being a typical rural cemetery in Iowa, I had to navigate a few gravel roads to get there. It was a small cemetery, so I didn't bother to get a map and grave locations in advance. I found that it was small enough to walk and I had very little difficulty finding the graves I was searching for.

Click "read more" below to see the rest of this post

I successfully found the following tombstones:
  • Margaret (Cantley) Fowlie (1792-1887), my 3rd great grandmother, grandmother of Frank Brown Fowlie.
  • James W. Fowlie (1839-1904), my 2nd great grand uncle, son of George and Margaret (Cantley) Fowlie,
  • Jane Fowlie (1832-1906), my 2nd great grand aunt, daughter of George and Margaret (Cantley) Fowlie. 

I'll post the photos of each tombstone on a future "Tombstone Tuesday" post. The weather wasn't ideal, but at least it wasn't raining.

See also: Iowa GenWeb and Find a grave. Both sites were very valuable in planning the trip.

I brought along the GPS and recorded the location of the three stones. It should show up in the map below as a green arrow southwest of the main entrance. The location was N42 3.308, W91 54.221 with my Garmin eTrex Legend handheld.

View Larger Map